Life is so good lived with the Lord Jesus, I want to share it with you! My title, "It Was Given to Me," comes from 1 Corinthians 4:7. All that I have was given to me by God! Isn't that a great way to live? I invite you to come along on the journey with me!

Thursday, April 5, 2012

In the Repair Shop



As if there weren't enough already, the state of Tennessee has a new law. The “Check Engine” light cannot be on, on the dashboard for any reason, ora vehicle will not pass inspection. My cute little white Toyota is now in the shop for the third time, with the mechanics trying to get her up to snuff. Therefore, I have been stuck at home for several days.

Don’t get me wrong. Getting to stay at home is bliss, compared to the years I had to head to school by 7 am, battle students all day, and then drag my weary body back home to grade papers and generate more lesson plans. Throughout my life, however, I have found that when I spend great chunks of time relatively alone, I start to get down.

I start thinking about friends whom I don’t see any more. I wonder what they are doing and if we’re still friends. Scenes of times when I’ve made a fool of myself or really failed at something start filling my mind. If it goes on too long, I start feeling like I’m back in seventh grade with zits on my face and ugliness in my clothing. I feel awkward and lonely all over again. The negativity builds, and I start spiraling down.

But  today it hit me. What a great place to be, because this is where Jesus meets me! When I’m worrying and doubting and lonely and afraid, I realize that I need Him. That’s the meeting place for Him and me, if I cry out to Him, and tell Him the down and dirty about what I’m thinking and where I am. He promises to rescue me!

Psalm 40:1-3 says it:

            I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry.
            He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire.
            He set my feet upon a rock and gave me a place to stand.
            He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.
            Many will see and fear and will trust in the Lord.

This is a time when Satan wants me in his hip pocket, doubting God’s ability to make a difference in my life. He wants to whisper, “See. You don’t have any friends. You’re growing older and overweight. Your being on this planet has influenced no one. You’ve just been deluding yourself.”

Instead, God is shouting loud and clear, “YOU ARE MY BELOVED DAUGHTER! I LOVE YOU BECAUSE I REDEEMED YOU. I WILL NEVER STOP LOVING YOU.  YOUR LIFE MATTERS BECAUSE I AM USING YOU FOR MY GLORY. AS YOU YIELD YOUR LIFE TO ME MORE AND MORE, I WILL DO AMAZING THINGS THAT YOU WON’T BELIEVE. AND, YES, MANY WILL SEE AND FEAR AND WILL TRUST IN ME!”

What a great day this is! How glad I am that my Toyota and I are both in the mechanic’s hands. What a wonderful work the Master Mechanic will do! How grateful I am for the downward spiral, so that I can see His gentle hand on my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment